Brosna (Brosnach) is a parish situated in the Sliabh Luachra area of County Kerry. It is a mainly agricultural rural parish, supporting two churches, two schools, a post office, and five public houses.
Some famous Munster rivers have their sources in the parish – the Clydagh, the Braonach, and the Munster Blackwater. The highest point is Mount Eagle. It is in the barony of Trughanacmy. Crochaun Mountain is 1,400 feet (430 m) above sea level, with its wonderful view.
Brosna is bordered by County Cork, and County Limerick. The nearest neighbours are Castleisland and Knocknagoshel in Co Kerry, Abbeyfeale and Mountcollins in Co Limerick, and Ballydesmond and Rockchapel in Co Cork.
An old thatched church was built about 1800 when Fr Nicholas Moore was parish priest, in the grounds of the graveyard near the present Church. (He died in 1803).
The present Church "St Moling & St Carthage" was built in 1868 when Fr Patrick Moriarty was parish priest. It was designed by architect George Ashlin. This Church is in gothic form and was built from dressed stones quarried from the lands of Pat O'Callaghan in Knopoge.
The Presbytery was built when the Church was, in 1868, a great stone building. This has been home to parish priests and Catholic curates who have served the parish. It was restored by Revd. Tadhg O'Doherty in 1998. The Church's restoration was completed in 2010. The original stone faced interior with a slightly modern twist augments the gothic atmosphere. The church has been the centre of much intereset since its completion.
Brosna Fair started in 1853 and was a major business and social occasion. The local farmers came to sell their livestock and other produce.
When their business was completed they met and socialised in the village pubs. The last fair held in Brosna was in the early 1900's
Flanagans - Run by Michael Flanagan & his son Kieran, Flanagans is situated in the square directly across from the church. It is noted as a popular location for a 'sing song' in the village with Michael himself partaking regularly. Flanagans is renowned for intimate atmosphere and extremely warm welcomes.
The Three Counties, also situated in the square is run by Joe & Eileen Browne. On the weekend of the Con Curtin Festival, the Three Counties provides an excellent food service courtesy of Eileen's sister, Sheila McGoldrick.
The Sportsfield Bar - A 'halfway house' in the village, the Sportsfield is run by Mike Moriarty. With a friendly, welcoming atmosphere, it's a popular destination in the village.
Kate Pats is run by Jimmy Á Maria Keane and often has traditional music throughout the year.
The Woodview Bar, more affectionately known as 'The Bottom Bar' due to it's location in the village is run by Paul O'Connor.
For any information regarding any aspect of the festival don't hesitate to contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org